There’s nothing like thousands of athletes coming together to remind me to stay away from sports and get back in my comfort zone. And of course, few things come more naturally to me than throwing together a themed playlist. Some sports weren’t as conducive to good music as others – believe it or not, there aren’t too many songs about badminton out there – but I found some sweet tunes that definitely deserve the gold.
Without further ado, I bring you the Playlist of Olympic Proportions, Part 1.
- Southern Belles in London Sing – The Faint
- London Calling – The Clash
- London Bridges – This Is Ivy League – I was tempted to put Fergie’s “London Bridge” here instead, but I figured the Queen would want something classier. Because we all know how much she likes both Fergies.
- Basketball – Lil Bow Wow – This song makes even me like sports. [Lil] Bow Wow is much more than a class-D rapper, he changes lives.
- Swimmers – Broken Social Scene
- Weed Party – Band of Horses – Perhaps Michael Phelps had his ass beaten by Ryan Lochte because he was having a few too many of these kinds of parties? Regardless, good song.
- Swimming Pools – Thao
- Swim – Surfer Blood
- Swimming – Florence & the Machine
- I Sing I Swim – Seabear
- Equestrian – U.S. Royalty – If there is only one song on this playlist that you listen to, make it be this one. This is a brilliant D.C. band that WGTB was fortunate enough to host this spring. This is a calmer song, but they are one of the best rock bands I know of right now.
- A Horse With No Name – America – And our parents think the things people sing about today are weird…
- Trick Pony – Charlotte Gainsbourg
- Mine’s Not a High Horse – The Shins
- A Horse Is Not a Home – Miike Snow
- Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy – Big & Rich – While I normally like to pretend that this song is not in my iTunes library, I couldn’t not bring it out for the Olympics. Maybe not equestrian like the Queen does it, but equestrian nonetheless.
- Pumped Up Kicks – Foster the People
- Unless It’s Kicks – Okkervil River
- Kicks in the Schoolyard – The Rosebuds
Check back for part 2 tomorrow for shooting, sailing, rowing, and more!