I’m trying to keep my Google Chrome bookmarks organized. This is no small task, let me tell you. Can I just say that it is near damn impossible to try to keep track of all that I do (or want to do) on the web? Try as I might to sort my bookmarked pages into neat little virtual folders, they’re never truly in order. But one sub-folder is about to be – the “Music/Movies” folder.
There are over 300 bookmarks in here. Songs I’ve meant to listen to, artist profiles I’ve meant to read, cat videos I’ve watched a few too many times. A lot of cat videos I’ve watched a few too many times. This is all about to change as I clear out some of the old things that have been taking up space for a while. But I’ve found some treasures that I just have to share.
- nicholascage09’s YouTube channel. I don’t know how or why I came across this particular girl in my hunt for the best YouTube covers, but she is INCREDIBLE. This German teen covers mostly mainstream pop songs, and 90% of them sound much better when she performs them without all the frills. Find her covers of Ellie Goulding’s “The Writer” and MGMT’s “Kids.”
- Gotye performing “Somebody That I Used to Know” on KCRW. Look, I am as over this song as the next person. This is by far the purest, best-quality live performance of this song, and unlike the many live versions and covers out there, Kimbra is actually in this one. Even though Gotye and Kimbra don’t look at each other much, there is an audible and visible chemistry between them.
- U.S. Royalty live at The Knitting Factory. WGTB, my college radio station, hosted DC band U.S. Royalty this spring. We ladies of the WGTBoard, normally a fairly tame bunch, found this video, and we start squealing like tweens at a Miley concert when we watch it. Lead singer John Thornley has REAL moves like Jagger. Fact.
- Sigur Ros performing “Hoppipolla” live in a field. I am partial to this song because of the nostalgic, happysad, beautiful feeling it tends to evoke. Even if you can’t appreciate what some might call “flowery” music, at least you get to do some people-watching in this vid. Icelandic people seem pretty…nordic. I think nordic is the word.
- PS22 Chorus’ YouTube channel. If you haven’t heard of them, you are really missing out on some of the youngest and most promising talent out there. I don’t want to admit how many hours I have spent procrastinating by going through their hundreds of videos and listening to their songs and watching their faces light up when they sing. I love their covers of “We Are Young” with Walk the Moon and “We Found Love.” And holy shit, “One and Only,” by Adele is just unreal.
- Of Montreal in concert. I was there for that weirdly, weirdly fun concert, and I haven’t felt the need to watch it again. The video and audio quality are superb, though, as usual with NPR. Scroll through the video and watch a few minutes here and there. You’ll be amazed or shocked or…something. May cause nightmares when the weird body puppets come out.
There’s a lot more where that came from, but I think I’ve contributed way too much material for your procrastination already!